Val's Book Nook

Monday, May 08, 2006

Chasing Destiny

Currently #6 - NY Times Bestseller List

Click here for a synopsis of the book.

I had been anxiously awaiting EJD’s new book. I had even placed a request for it before it was even released. When I went to pick it up I was a little surprised. This is by far the longest book he’s ever written (432 pages). Once I finished reading the acknowledgements at the end of the novel, I realized why. This book was 8 years in the making. And I’m happy to report that it was well worth the wait!

It took me a couple of chapters to really get into it. You see, most of the main characters are motorcycle riders and that is a world that I am extremely unfamiliar with. There’s still some “motorcycle slang” in this novel that I don’t understand. (EJD, can we get a motorcycle phrase dictionary in the appendix?)

But once I really got into it, I didn’t want to put it down. I read the whole thing in 3 days. I went through a gamut of reactions while reading this book: No she didn’t!... That dude is wack!... Business cards on computer paper? LOL!... How can he go back to her?..... Her little hot a** needs to sit down!... Awww, that’s so sweet! Damn, that must have hurt!... He’s got game!... No, she didn’t just do that to that girl!... This B is crazy!.... Gasp! That’s who tried to kill her?! Why does she think she’s Loraina Bobbit!

Really, EJD keeps you flipping the pages to find out what happens next. And he does an absolutely amazing job intermingling the lives of all of the characters. Talk about 6 degrees of separations! (more like 2 or 3 in this book) The characters are dealing with struggles in their lives and those of their close loved ones, trying to figure the mystery behind who did what crime. Little did they know that a friend/relative of a friend did it. I’d love to give you an example but I don’t want to ruin it for you!

I’m giving this book two thumbs up. Definitely in my top 5 favorite EJD books.

270 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home