Val's Book Nook

Monday, June 05, 2006

Don't Make a Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings


As I’m sure you’ve already figured out, I use my library card almost as much as I use my debit card. But this time I actually went out and purchased this book. It was getting so much buzz that I just couldn’t wait for the library to get it. And besides, I’m happy to continue my financial support of Tyler Perry’s projects. (Not that he really needs it with that $5 million mansion that we saw in Diary of a Mad Black Woman.)

I must say that this book is not only humorous but also a very easy read. It also provides us some background on Madea’s life. Yes, you’re taken back to her younger days when she used to drop it like it’s hot. LoL.

This book cleverly weaves in Madea’s “tell it like it is” humor with tips on life. There is actually some good advice in there. For example: Ladies, don’t go throwin’ your Frisbees to these dogs out there. And keep in mind that there is a difference between a short skirt and a ho skirt. Ho skirts show your Frisbee.

What I really appreciate is that Madea’s advice includes some flat out common sense things that you feel everyone should know and understand but they don’t. (I really feel the need to reiterate this point… Just because someone has book smarts does not mean that they have common sense.)

Based on the reviews and its #1 debut on NY Times Bestsellers list, I expected to be rolling on the floor laughing with every page turn. To my disappointment I wasn’t. Maybe it was my high expectations for this book, but I have to give it 2 ½ stars. Don’t get me wrong. It was funny. But I realize now more than ever that most of Tyler Perry’s/Madea’s humor is 90% delivery. So I’m sure that the book on tape would have gotten all 5 stars!

2 Comments:

  • Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:00 AM  

  • I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home